Sunday, September 12, 2021

Mixtape Vol. 1: Side A - Coby James

 

Warm and fun, “Golden” celebrates God’s love

Mixtape Vol. 1: Side A
Coby James
Label: Centricity Music
Length: 4 songs/14 minutes

On Mixtape Vol. 1: Side A Coby James opens with a fun and happy song. The playful feel to “Golden” is a mixture of expertly woven styles, predominantly R&B and pop. The captivating melody is punctuated by snappy sounds and sunny lyrics about God’s love. I feel better just hearing it. Horns at the end add to the magic.

“Castles” is more pop/rock. One of my favorite moments comes during a bridge that takes its thought from an old hymn:

You’re the rock
Where I stand
All other ground
Is sinking sand

It’s during this declaration that some loud, feedback-laden guitar is mixed in, which is strangely appealing.

Building apart from God is a castle made of sand that ultimately will wash away. Thus, the repeated refrain, “I’m gonna do what God says.”

“Simple” gets personal as the singer wrestles with the drawbacks of fame. Oswald Chambers, the author of My Utmost for His Highest, reckoned that aside from disobedience a refusal to be simple is a source of stumbling. Christians may identify with the longing for the simplicity found in early faith.

This release becomes more personal with each song, the closing “New Roots” being the most intimate of all, reflected in some of the softest moments. It starts with gentle strumming slowly building to a climax where it becomes more dynamic.

I like the reference to family and home in verse 2:

When I miss my mom, miss my dad
Miss my home and the wide open skies
In the mystery, the unseen
I know you will be, be my guide

A pre-chorus consisting of two short lines is beautifully sung in falsetto over a starry-sounding keyboard.

The maker of the stars
Is holding up my heart

It makes for a fitting end. The release begins with fun and ends in worship.

The cover image looks like an old record with ring wear. It shows a giant sunflower surrounded by a sunny, mountainous terrain. I wonder if Centricity will consider making this available on vinyl along with the companion releases?

Side A has a pop focus, Side B highlights acoustic guitar skills, and Side C explores a more experimental side.

This 19-year-old from a small town outside of Raleigh, NC considers himself a student of John Mayer. Guitar is his instrument of choice, which he uses to write and produce his own music.


No comments:

Land of the Living - Jason Gray

  Gray’s authenticity and hope make this one of the year’s best. Land of the Living Jason Gray Label: Centricity Music Length: 12 son...